Sunday, August 7, 2011

ER Orientation

When you start most jobs, you have this thing called "orientation". When you work in a large emergency department, that orientation is pretty much secondary to the fact there is a lot of work that MUST get done. The main reason your orientation gets cut short is the lack of people and the lack of time. Even if you get all of the work done, you still have to chart it, sign it, and then copy it for the patient. If you don't chart it, it wasn't done if anyone takes you to court. Upon introducing myself as a new ER Tech, the doctor's and nurses rolled their eyes and some even mumbled "Today is going to suck".

It isn't that the docs or nurses are ill-tempered and burned out. The truth is that any doc or nurse will tell you that their tech is what makes or breaks their day. Quite simply, the nurses are too busy chasing down doctors for authorization so they can't chart patient vitals every hour. Also nurses didn't go through nursing school to wipe down drunk homeless people and fetch them blankets.The doctors are quite a bit more demanding. They want techs to assist with many things such as sutures, EKGs, bandaging/wound cleaning, and splinting broken bones. A tech who is slow or new can't get all of this done in time and THAT is what will drive a nurse crazy.
In hindsight though, the orientation introduces you to the fact paced environment and gives you the knowledge of your scope of practice. I was exhausted after 12 hour running around up on my feet, but you bet I went home and hit my books on splinting bones, bandaging wounds, and running EKGs that night. 

22 comments:

  1. Suggest what kind of posts you'd like to see. I am working on a collection of first aid tutorials for the coming week based on my experience of what works (and especially doesn't).

    ReplyDelete
  2. People who work in hospitals are the hardest working folks I know. My brother, who recently passed, had been battling leukemia for the past three years. All of his doctors, though especially his nurses, went above and beyond in every sense of the word. People in that line of work really don't get much credit, or at least as much as they deserve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is particularly interesting given that I'm starting my medicine degree at UCL in September!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems like a hard but rewarding job, man :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is really interesting to read. i'm looking forward to the coming tutorials

    ReplyDelete
  6. i d love to see some first aid tutorials! +followed

    ReplyDelete
  7. i know that feeling, ive been working in a retirement home where there were emergencies every second day. chaos emerged, and i think a emergency room can really crush your motivation if you have a bad day

    ReplyDelete
  8. Working in an ER would sure be stressful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can most certainly relate, we're in the process of changing filing software... Never seems to work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting stuff mate. +1 follower

    ReplyDelete
  11. First Aid tutorials sound nice. Sounds like a difficult job but I bet it's worth the pay :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah, i could understand why that would be a very stresfull job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Although it may be stressful i still think it is such a rewarding job. Can get a good night sleep knowing you helped people survive. Nice post, following.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cool. I look forward to reading more! +follow. I love hearing it first hand.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I couldnt handle working in a hospital myself.
    nice blog by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh wow, so this is what my Uncle goes through each night.

    Now I have a better idea.

    ReplyDelete
  17. does appear to be a very demanding job.

    ReplyDelete
  18. love reading about this stuff. I find it very interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Seems like a stressful environment. Will be staying tuned for more.

    ReplyDelete
  20. dang, sounds intense. But i guess somebody has to do it. Keep up the hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I hear from a lot of people it's stressful. I have a lot of respect for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  22. My friend works in the ER at our local Hospital and she loves but we hardly get to see one another because she so busy D:

    ReplyDelete